Are Career Portals Serving The Purpose?
Tue Dec 14, 2010 | By News Team
Today with every second digital world is growing. By ‘Digital World’ we mean our internet and by internet we mean web-pages. There is this one question being asked ever since 1990s - what is the total number of pages internet hosting right now? The answer is a strict “Billions or Infinite”. Presentation of pages from diverse sources in a unified way is provided by web portals.
In our local industry, many web portals are available for internet users providing entertainment, news, business etc. To bridge the gap between academia and industry, career portals are available for: students, fresh-graduates, employers and employees.
Such career portals provide the following benefits:
- Latest jobs in industries posted by employers
- Career counseling by professionals
- Polls to have your say
- Latest tech-news
- Blogs & Discussion boards on various topics
- Resume writing and interview tips and so on.
It’s not necessary that all the above benefits are being provided by a single portal or not being provided at all. There are some limitations or gaps as well that prevent these portals to serve their purpose. Limitations in terms of:
- Proper usage of such portals
- Authenticity of jobs posted
- Answers to queries posted on forums/blogs
- Debates on healthy topics (related to industries, academia etc)
- Fees/Charges to access complete portal
- Or perhaps information overloading
Such limitations are either from the users or the site’s contents’ managers.
With respect to site-owners, more users are to be brought on-board; initiatives need to be taken like branding, awareness campaigns, highlights etc. Learning material related to latest tools & technology, experiences of professionals, latest market news & views should be made available and much more. With all such features the question would be: “On which career portal can I find you?” instead of “Are you a part of any career portal?
Like this stuff? Get it
in your inbox daily.